Interesting facts about Maldives
It won’t be an exaggeration if you call Maldives god’s most beautiful creation. This island nation is an unspoiled beauty which is a center of attraction for tourists from all over the world. Maldives is sunny, cozy and inviting. If you have an imagination of how heaven would look like, you imagination meets reality in Maldives. Maldives is a cluster of more than 1000 islands. You get to experience 26 major beautiful coral Atolls courtesy these islands.
Some of the must-know facts about the country are:
- The country is officially known as Republic of Maldives. However, the local long form of the name is Dhivehi Raajjeyga Jumhooriyyaa.
- Male is the capital city of Maldives.
- If you visit the country, you have to use Maldivian Rufiyaa for any financial transactions.
- The official language of the country is Divehi. People also communicate in English.
- Maldivian economy is mostly dependent on fishing and tourism industries.
- As far as the population of the country is concerned, Maldives is the smallest country of Asia. It is the smallest Muslim nation of the world.
- Maldives is the flattest country of the world.
- Maldives was ruled by Portuguese from 1558 to 1573. Later, the country became a Dutch occupant. The British took over the Dutch rule. Maldives gained full freedom from the United Kingdom rule in the year 1965.
- The highest point of Maldives is in the Addu Atoll, which is located on the island of Wilingili.
- The flag of Maldives also has a story to tell. The white semi-circle on the flag symbolizes the Islamic faith established in the country. The red color of the flag signifies the blood sacrificed by the heroes of the nation. The green color in the flag signifies the palm trees which are the life source of the country.
- If you visit the country, Sultan Park is a must-visit place. This park was built in 16th century. This park is situated on the southern side of the royal place grounds in male. These grounds are demolished now and the park is open for public.
- Thousands of divers who visit the country every year cannot resist themselves getting attracted towards the sharks of the country. Maldives is considered to be the delight for divers from all over the world. There are many species of sharks found in Maldives.
- If historians are to be believed, Maldives was populated in 4th century BC. It is believed that Arabians were the early migrants to the country. Later, eastern Africans and Indians occupied the country. Maldivians are a mixed race since then.
- If you like the hospitality of any particular place in the country, think of some things before tipping. Tipping is officially not accepted but unofficially it is appreciated. You don’t need to tip if your bill amount includes service charge.
- Most hotels and resorts accept payments in cash, credit cards and traveler’s cheques. American Express, Diners Club, Euro Card, Master card and Visa are commonly accepted credit cards in the country.
Maldives Fast Facts